Featured Remodeling Project - Exterior Remodel
- Before - 1980's Style
- After - Captivating Design
- Over the bay window
The Satre home was originally built in the 1980's and had all the original Board and Batten siding.
The homeowners wanted to update the exterior of their home to better reflect the prestigious neighborhood and other updated homes around them.
They especially wanted to add a different and more captivating design on the front of the house.
We were able to achieve this by:
- Removing the old siding and replacing it with newer low maintenance LP Smart Side and James Hardy Shakes
- Adding Custom Shutters and Corbel's
- A New Energy Efficient Wood Front Door
- Using 3 different colored Benjamin Moore Exterior Paints for the shutters, siding and shakes
- A custom Copper Roof over the bay window
- A 2nd floor dormer improved the roof line appearance especially with a matching arch to the garage
- We tied the back rooflines together with by adding a rear overhang
- A new Kitchen window box
- We wrapped the original posts on the front porch making them larger to enhance the look aesthetically
- New custom framed arched trim to enhance the look of the front of the house
- Bead-Board ceiling on the front porch with recessed lights
- A custom framed built overhang arch on the garage that also included recessed lighting
Before the siding install we installed a house wrap called Raindrop from Green Guard, which allows moisture to drain freely behind the siding.
This will prevent future rot and decay and allow the house to breathe thoroughly.
Conveniently we also added outlets in the soffits for easy access to install their Christmas lights.
This home has been transformed to an updated beauty.
It now better reflects the inside feel of the home on the outside.
Our homeowners are happy and satisfied.
Featured Remodeling Project Maple Grove
OUR MISSION (Featured Remodeling Project Maple Grove)
- TO MAKE THIS I970'S BUILT HOUSE LOOK AND FEEL COMPLETELY NEW AND MODERN INSIDE AND OUT. TRANSFORMING IT FROM A NEGLECTED RUN-DOWN HOUSE, WHICH SEEMED BEYOND REPAIR, INTO THEIR DREAM HOME....
- TO COMPLETE THE WHOLE HOUSE RENOVATION IN THREE MONTHS OR LESS RESPECTIVE TO THE HOMEOWNERS TIMELINE....
The prime location was the deciding motivator for Mr. and Mrs. Gauder. Mr. Gauder was excited about a fixer upper, Mrs. Gauder would have preferred new or move in ready. Together as we worked through the design process, our goal was to satisfy them both.
- This house was originally built in the 1970's when 2x4 exterior stud walls were the norm. Thin exterior walls are not ideal in Minnesota where temperature and weather varies to two extremes..
We suggested, given the scope of the work, to furr out the exterior walls to 2x6, getting innovative R19 insulated walls instead that would enhance the energy efficiency of the home. This not only saves them money, but also makes the house much more comfortable with the changing seasons.
- Also, using Polyurethane closed cell spray foam on the energy heels of the trusses to help prevent ice dams and around windows as well will also help with the heating and cooling of their home.
- In addition we also updated all of the electrical, plumbing, redid framing, drywall, flooring, and mechanica Is. All adding to the energy efficiency of the home.
We did overcome a huge obstacle on the Gauder home. Within the first week of construction we discovered that there was a fault in the foundation. (A horizontal crack on the lower backside of the garage.) It was important to stay on schedule and not loose time.
- Quickly we sent our masonry crew to put part of the house on stilts to support the new addition that was being built above it, while we cut away parts of the garage floor, removed dirt behind the foundation and replaced the old block foundation with a new core filled block foundation.
- We did all this while not slowing down the project. The homeowners took a deep sigh of relief.
HOUSE RENOVATION DETAILS INCLUDE:
- Removed the roof over kitchen and living areas vaulting it to a 2 story over the garage.
- As a typical bi-level house built in the 70's it was important to the homeowners that we overcome a choppy look, so we created a floor plan that is now more open and spacious. Large southern windows and accent windows now let in more bright natural light as well as take advantage of uninhibited lake views.
- Walls and a mid-room fireplace were removed and the living and kitchen areas now have vaulted ceilings.
- In the area above the garage now sits a beautiful Master Suite and lofted area in which now they use as an office.
- Master Suite includes a fully functional elite Master Bath featuring a massive walk in shower with multiple heads, settable water temp, lots of glass block and tile to take advantage of natural light.
- Also, we updated the first floor bath positioning a new tub and toilet in a way to allow for a double vanity which will better accommodate their growing family.
- We put new flooring, new appliances, new maple cabinets in the kitchen, redid the electrical and gave much thought and detail to storage spaces, wall/door placement and ergonomics to avoid any wasted space.
- Replace all exterior siding and roofing.
This house is a night and day difference.
Now instead of being the house that stuck on like a sore thumb,
it now get's noticed for all the right reasons.
The sightlines have much more curb appeal, especially being a lake home.
Mr. and Mrs. Gauder moved in 3 months after renovation and are now living in their dream home.
Contact Brekke Homes/Request Estimate
Brekke Homes & Construction |
Contact Brekke |
In southern Minnesota, Faribault, Owatonna, Ellendale, Albert Lea, Mankato.